Abstract Submission Guidelines
In order for us to prepare well in advance we have identified the following key dates relating specifically to the call for abstracts and the review process
Abstract submission deadline <EXTENDED>: October 31, 2020 | Eastern Time
Submitting Your Abstract
1. You can use the submission form on this page (https://www.sc-bdhs-conference.org/abstract-2021) to submit abstracts for the conference.
2. Abstracts must be submitted in English.
3. Abstracts must not have been published or presented previously.
4. A rule of two first authored abstracts per delegate operates (delegates can be co-authors on multiple abstracts).
5. Abstracts should be no longer than 500 words.
6. Submission of an abstract constitutes a commitment by the author(s) to present it if accepted. Failure to present, if not justified, will jeopardize future acceptance of abstracts.
7. The presenter is responsible for all expenses associated with the submission and presentation of an abstract (e.g. registration etc.).
Content of the Abstracts
All the abstracts need to be responsive to the conference theme “Unlocking the Power of Big Data in Health – Bringing Innovatiotn into Improved Care and Prevention”.
Two types of abstracts are possible:
- Research based abstracts that describe empirical studies or methodological studies. The research-based abstracts need to focus on data or data analytics in the following areas:
- Electronic Health Records
- Social Media data
- Genomic data
- Geospatial data
- Nano-biomaterial data
- Program based abstracts that describe problems or lessons learned from program development or implementation or policy issues related to Big Data analytics and their application in health science research in the following areas:
- Infrastructural and capacity development
- Professional development
- Community/industry engagement
- Academic training
- Methodological advances.
Format of the Abstract
Structured abstracts are required for all submissions.
Option 1: Research based abstracts:
- Study Objectives (hypothesis or a description of the problem)
- Method (Key descriptions of study design, data sources and data analytics)
- Results (specific results in a summarized form)
- Discussion (brief comments, conclusions and implications)
Option 2: Program based abstracts:
- Issues:(A short statement of the issue or issues that the abstract addresses)
- Project (a brief description of the project, program, experience, service or study and its results and findings)
- Lessons learned (a summary of the lessons learned and their implications.)
Option 3: Symposia, workshops and satellites:
Proposals for this option can be submitted to the conference organizers.
Abstract Evaluation and Selection
All abstracts will be reviewed and evaluated by the Scientific Committee that consists of leading scholars and faculty in the content areas. If necessary, external reviewers will be solicited at the discretion of the Scientific Committee and the conference organizers. The reviewers will also make recommendation regarding the option of “Plenary session ”, “Breakout session”or “virutal” poster presentation.
Plenary and Breakout Session Presentations
- The submitting author is designated as the presenting author. If the submitting author cannot attend the conference for some reason, the presenter must be an author of the abstract.
- If an author’s name appears on more than one abstract, it must be identical on each abstract.
- If you are referencing work previously published by another author, please be sure to include a complete citation at the bottom of the appropriate slide.
Virtual Poster Presentations
Abstracts accepted for “Virtual Poster presentation” need to prepare a digital poster for display online during the conference
Virtual poster presentation will be displayed for the assigned day only. Please check the acceptance letter and the conference program to identify which day and time your poster is scheduled for.
Submit an Abstract
We will contact you as soon as the receipt of your submission.
For questions regarding abstract submission and review, please contact the Chair of the Conference Scientific Committee:
Qian Wang, Ph.D.
Carolina Distinguished Professor
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
University of South Carolina, GSRC 532
Columbia, SC 29208, USA